Thursday, February 21, 2013

Being Different






Picture credit: Pinterest


Hiya! So, in advance, I’d like to warn you that I’m winging it for this blog post. I had no clue what anyone else was going to blog about this week, so I had to come up with this last minute. So forgive me for any randomness. 


Here’s a little story to start off.


The other day, I went to Ross’ clothing store. I love Ross. So many clothes for so cheap. And they’re brand new! What more can a girl with limited money ask for? Anyway, my mom wanted me to go because I hadn’t spent any of the money I had been given about a week ago, and she knew I wouldn’t spend it if I wasn’t dragged store to store, until something caught my writerly eye. 


Well, I can never say no to a trip to Ross, so I went. As soon as I stepped in, I looked around, trying to find anything worth wearing. Here’s one thing I’ve learned: Ross may be cheap, but they don’t have many clothes that I actually wear. 


I walked throughout the Junior’s section, praying there would be something there. Truthfully, the only clothes I can fit are Juniors. But the bad thing about that is there is nothing classy in the least about Juniors. 


I cringed as I held up clothes to examine further. Backless, sleeveless, nearly clothless . . . I learned another thing. 


There are a whole lot of “lesses” in the Junior’s department. 


I was thoroughly frustrated when I came to the end of the department. I was ready to find my mother and tell her there was nothing here for me right now. I’d have to wait until fall to come back, and then at least young girls wanted to cover their arms and stomachs up, lest they freeze to death. 


It wasn’t really the fact that they had nothing for me that upset me, though. It was that young girls didn’t have respect for themselves anymore. They were willing to look trashy and thrown away for . . . for what? A chance at “true love” with a fellow 12-year old that would last a week before being “heartbroken?” Is it just me, or is “true love” being found younger and younger these days?


My point is there is so little respect for a woman’s honor now. And what’s left of it is being torn to pieces by society. Young girls feel the need to dress as if someone stole half of their clothes because women on television do. 


You have to admit, a lot of girls must feel pressured to dress and act like women on television. After all, they see ads about clothing that shows as much skin as you can without being naked. Cheerleaders wear skirts and shorts that should be called “long underwear,” and everyone calls them “beautiful” and “graceful.” Modest clothing is swiftly becoming extinct. Society is banishing it quickly. But, really, who is society to tell me what I need to wear? Who is society to tell me that knees that don’t show off my thighs is “old-fashion?” Do they control me? No.


Here’s what I’m saying. Don’t conform. Don’t let society tell you who you have to be. Be yourself. Step beyond the boundaries that society tries to place around you and say, “I will be different!” God will bless you for it.


Oh, and in case you’re wondering, I did buy an adorable skirt and a black undershirt from Ross’.  *grin*


Again, I’m sorry for any rambling I may have done. Have a terrific week, and God bless you!

 

16 comments:

  1. So true Katelyn! It's really sad how people feel the need to "fit in" with society. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing clothes like that anyway. I feel a lot more confident in modest clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've tried on quite a few clothes that society seems to love, and it was awful. I don't see how other girls wear stuff like that.

      Delete
  2. I agree! ...and that's funny you mentioned Ross...I haven't been there in AGES. Used to shop there with my mom often.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go twice a year. My mom can't resist the maxi dresses.

      Delete
    2. Maxi dresses?!?!??!?!?! I MUST GO THERE NOW. O_O I can't find decent maxi dresses anywhere!!

      Delete
    3. They have a lot of them. Most are strapless, but if you're blessed, you can find a few good ones.

      Delete
  3. Dude. How can you be so right? B|

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great!!! :) (especially for winging it.) I have a sister who's in the juniors section so I'll have to keep a close eye on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D And I hope your sister is like you and would rather be classy than to fit in. :)

      Delete
    2. That sounded wrong. O_o I have a way of doing that. *sigh**facepalm* Hopefully, you get what I mean.

      Delete
    3. Haha! It's ok, I understand. Classy is better. I've considered getting the word "classy" on a bracelet to remind me what I'm striving for.
      I hope she sets standards too!

      Delete
  5. AMEN babygirl, i went to ross' the other day
    and had to leave with nothing. was thinking how we would go there and find clothes. what i saw was nothing i would wear. love you.

    ReplyDelete