Monday, April 22, 2013

Preparing To Be a Help Meet {Book Review}


Hello everyone! I hope you are having a beautiful day! God has been so good, I hope all of you are enjoying His blessings as much as I am.  
                                                                                                                                   
When trying to decide on what to blog about today, I realized no one had done a review on a wonderful book, Preparing To Be A Help Meet yet. So I decided to write about it for you all. It's been a while since I read this, but hopefully my memory will do it justice.           
                   
 This book is written for girls and women who have not been married yet. I'm sure it would be interesting for married women to read, but most of the information inside is targeted at younger girls.

 Debi Pearl truly did a wonderful job with this book. She started with her own beautiful story, how God told her she would marry her husband when she was just thirteen years old, and he was twenty-one, and how about seven years later, it really happened. She includes several love stories, about girls who waited, and trusted the Lord for the man He meant for them. Some of the girls had to trust the Lord even if they didn't really know the boy that well. 

 But she also talked about girls who had such sad stories- girls who had a nice guy interested in them, but didn't trust God, and lost everything. 

 Besides the initial relationship stories, she also writes on health, and how that can affect your family. Because this book is called Preparing To Be a Help Meet, it is about preparing for your future as a wife and mother. Preparation is so important. She includes lots of great tips and advice. She also writes how many of the girls who had guys interested in them were noticed by the guys for their working in the church- doing things for the Lord. This is really important. God blesses those who serve Him.

 She put girls into three different categories, and guys as well, and talks about how they match up. Are you a dreamer, a servant, or a queen? You'll find out in this book! (I'm a dreamer... :D)

 At the end of each chapter, there is a section for you to write. There is an assignment at the top of these places. You could be writing a letter to your future husband, making a list of qualities you want in a husband, or analyzing a scripture.

There is so much to this book, that you could go on and on, but I don't want to ruin it for you. Just get it so you can read it. :) It is worth everything you would spend on it. 

 This is one of the books that opened my eyes personally about courting. I had always assumed I would, since it was what my family wanted, but this really laid it out, and explained how wonderful waiting for God's plan really is.
    
 Here is the link to the Amazon page, but you can get it just about anywhere online. I highly recommend it! 

 I hope you have enjoyed this review. See you next week!


                                                               

3 comments:

  1. LOVED THIS BOOK!!! Mom got it for me a couple years ago and it's one of the best "for girls only" books I've ever read. So many jewels of wisdom. And, I love the way she classifies people as one of the three characteristics. I'm a dreamer mixed with go-to gal. :D :D It's fun to try and guess what the rest of my family is, and what my friends are, too, I should mention! Great post, Bethany. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning actually to read this book soon! :D

    ReplyDelete