Monday, April 8, 2013

Flirting


Today I'm going to talk a little bit on flirting. Ya know, that simple little, harmless thing, that seems to easy to do when there's a cute boy around? Guess what. It isn't harmless.

 I'm sure just about every girl here has flirted. It can be hard not to... it is in our nature. And a lot of people push flirting off as being just harmless fun. But if you look deeper into it... I looked up flirting through Google definitions, and this is what I came up with.

 1. Behave as though attracted to or trying to attract someone, but without serious intentions: "it amused him to flirt with her".

2. Experiment with or show a superficial interest in (an idea, activity, or movement) without committing oneself to it seriously.

 After reading those definitions, does flirting sound like something we, as daughters of God should involve ourselves in?

 Don't get me wrong. I've probably been guilty of this myself. But I don't want to be someone who plays with a guy's emotions just for fun. I want to be a friend, a sister to guys, until I'm ready to start courting. This also goes back to inner modesty. With inner modesty, the Lord can help us not to do this.

 In my eyes, flirting can be a mean thing. As I said, you are playing with a boy's emotions with the little actions you do. I'm not saying twisting your hair, and giggling is bad. But depending on the attitude behind it, and the batting of the eyes... We do not want to be like the strange woman mentioned in Proverbs.

 "For the lips of a strange woman drop as an honeycomb, and her mouth is smoother than oil:
 But her end is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword.
 Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell."


 Guys can be wonderful friends, and great friends in the Lord as well. Let's be an encouragement to them, as well as ourselves.

 I'm not trying to judge anyone. I hope this has been an encouragement to everyone, and that we all will strive to not be stumbling blocks to our brothers in the Lord by flirting, or leading them on. God bless you all. If you have any questions, or I haven't explained anything clearly enough, just ask in the comments. :)

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts!
    I found the definitions very insightful as well!
    I don't really have a problem in this area. Mine is more learning how to politely disengage from a guy who is flirting. I have a hard time not being rude, while at the same time letting him know I'm not going to flirt-if that makes sense?
    Have a lovely day,
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input Natasha! Yes, that can be, for lack of a better word, awkward! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with Natasha, learning how to NOT engage a flirtatious guy can be equally if not harder than the act of being flirty itself.

    ReplyDelete