Originally posted here.
A while back some friends and I were laughing and talking.
I can't remember exactly how we got on the subject (it seems we were throwing out crazy plot twists), but however it happened I said something like "What if you wrote this story and the main character had no talents whatsoever and..."
One of the guys said, "That isn't right. When God created us he gave us all gifts and talents and places in life. No-one is created with out a purpose."
Normally I defend what I say, but this time what he said hit me as true. What I had said was VERY unbiblical. When I write I try to make all my stories at least follow certain biblical principles even if my stories aren't necessarily "Christian" genre.
Needless to say, that story idea was trashed :). Yet what I had said many would consider true. Just look about you. There are many, many people that appear to have nothing, do nothing, know nothing. They are "ugly", "untalented" and no fun to be around.
Normally their dress style doesn't help, nor half of the weird things they say or do or the way they act. These people we class as "untalented" (a word that shouldn't even exist).
Maybe you are one of those "untalented" people. You can't find anything special about yourself, you are good at nothing.
Well, let me tell you now that your idea about yourself is false.
Yes, there are many seemingly untalented people, because like it or not, no one is born perfect. Even those of us who were lucky enough to have someone help us develop our talents would be nothing if it weren't for trying.
And practice. Lots of it. In order to have talents I have learned you must CHOOSE to DEVELOP them. But how do you discover YOUR true talents and destiny in life? How can you be YOU and have others like you at the same time?
Sad Fact: First off you need to accept that everyone won't like you. You need to be happy anyways and just be you. Living to please others will only bring many disappointments in your life, because you will ALWAYS displease someone. (Not saying you should live carelessly or purposely displease others. Just don't make it your priority to be someone else's puppet.)
I believe the very first step to finding true happiness with ourselves is found in this verse, Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths"
In order to believe and really accept that we ARE created for a purpose and DO have talents and gifts we first must accept the One that made us and gave us those gifts in the first place. Believe in Yeshua (Jesus), accept him as your savior, and let your old ways be no more than the past - over.
Including the thoughts that you have no talents.
For now you are a new creation in Him. 2 Corinthians 5:17 "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
After that here are some suggestions for discovering your own talents.
1. Believe that you were created for a reason - that you aren't some freak accident. This is one of the Devil's biggest lies. If he can make you not feel special then you will automatically believe that no one cares for you which then leads you to believing that Yeshua ( Jesus ) did NOT die for YOU. To believe this is thinking that you are worse than EVERYONE. Which is not true. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God"
2. Accept that God made you special and that you have a purpose in life. Self-worth and self-dignity are important as long as we don't let them turn into self-righteousness or self-pride.
3. What do you most enjoy doing? These are the natural desires given to us by God. Make a list of what you like doing. Remember these may only be desires. You may have already wasted much time by thinking you were untalented that you never spent much time cultivating your gifts.
Just because you have a gift for something doesn't mean you'll be just awesome at it. God only gave you the desire and the gift. You must make it grow by using it and working with it.
Perfect it with practice.
And talents can be anything from big stuff to little stuff. Singing, acting and other things that make you famous aren't the only talents out there. :)
In fact these things can distract us from our real talents by making us think that those are the only talents out there.
True talent isn't becoming popular, but being passionate about what you do because you love it and letting that gift make you a better person.
4. You don't know what you like doing? Or what your natural gifts are? Most likely somebody (that is a good influence in your life) will have noticed your talents peeking through. Take advice from others to see what you are good at.
5. Apply your talents to practical every day things. And be unique, be you. Just because your talent may be working with kids doesn't mean you have to become a teacher or social worker or children's missionary. Look at ALL the options and pick the one that best suits your unique personality. Don't go for the norm or what everyone else does. Don't do things to please others. Do all for the glory of Yahweh.
1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." and Colossians 3:17
6. Let your talents and personality intertwine.
Just as there isn't a truly untalented person there is not an ugly nor undesirable person. It's all in how you act and dress and talk and be you. Embrace what God wants for you, and your attitude (and yes, even style) will change to make you a greater person for Yahweh.
So, what are your talents? Share in the comments :).