Thursday, May 29, 2014

Proverbs 31 Woman


Well, hello y'all. First of all I wanted to apologize for having been gone most of this past year. Once again, things in my life have seemed to pile up. I've recently had to take a long break from blogging/writing for health reasons, but thankfully I am back for the summer! With that being said, I am here to ask you wonderful girls what you would like to see over the course of the next few months. More Classy Garb posts? Or devotional styled posts? Posts on being modest in a world that promotes immodesty? The questions could continue on forever. I also have some idea's of my own...

While on my personal vacation I was able to read several books I had been wanting to read. His Chosen Bride by Jennifer Lamp Neef was at the top of my list. This wonderful book is tagged 'single girl secrets to living out Proverbs 31' and is absolutely a must read for girls in their late teens throughout their single years. While I plan to do a review of the book sometime later this summer after I read through it again, I do plan to talk about one thing that really stood out to me.

In the description (verses 10 through 31 for those of you who didn't know) of who we call a Proverbs 31 woman, there is a continuing picture of a woman who is resourceful and keeps busy with her hands. One of the ways she does this is by weaving and clothing her family.

The more I thought about this trait, the more I started to realize that sewing within the home (whether it be clothing, quilts, or other needed items) is a dwindling art. In a world which has become almost completely industrialized, it seems almost pointless to know these skills. Except, to me as a future wife and mother, I think these skills would be pretty handy to know! Maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned, but their is also something very satisfying about wearing clothes you've sewn for yourself. Maybe my family is a bit old-fashioned as well, because ever since I can remember, at least several items in my closet have always been handmade. We've also used our sewing skills as a way to reach out to those who are less fortunate (by sewing blankets and scarves etc. for different ministries), which is another trait of a Proverbs 31 woman.

To get to the point of things, my mother and I are going to spend the summer sewing so I can build up my wardrobe for college (Yikes...only a few months till I move out of the house and into a dorm...). That's going to include different styles of dresses and skirts. I'll probably also be making some purses and pillows to decorate my bed with. Sooooo, how would y'all like a series of sewing tutorials this summer? Perhaps for a simple skirt or two? If that's something that would catch your eye, let me know in the comments!

God bless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment