Thursday, September 25, 2014

True Beauty

Healthy and Skinny are two very different things.
It’s okay to be over 90lbs and its okay to not have a thigh gap (can anyone really explain the whole ‘thigh gap’ thing to me, please? I don’t see any reason for it at all. The only way I have seen it achievable is through a lot of people who have lost more weight than they should to achieve it.) it’s okay to weigh 20 more pounds than your best friend. As long as you are healthy its okay. I promise you. Compared to a lot of my friends I’m rather big…. but thats only because they are a lot shorter or smaller than I am.
I have many friend who’s healthy weight might be 100lbs where mine is more than that.
There is a big difference between healthy and skinny this picture is a very good example.
(My apologies on the scantily dressed women…but this proves a point)
tumblr_m816ed1KfA1rvbucio1_500
You can see the difference between both women. (Even the campaign names and company’s prove the point with almost no explanation needed)
Most of the time to achieve skinny people have to go through insane diets that are in no way healthy for ones body.
Don’t get me wrong. I am not saying diets are bad but to an extent they can be.
 
I think the main reason anorexia or eating disorders is a big thing is because people are constantly being told things like “I’m not good enough”, “You aren’t beautiful if you are over 100lbs” and the list goes on.
 
A main factor creating these body image issues for people is the media. Magazines and videos especially. The media gives us these false images of flawless, skinny, acne free people when in truth by telling us we can look like someone on the cover of a magazine…well its a lie. WHen you see that model on a Billboard sign or magazine cover or even in a picture or music video it is edited.
 
The media is telling us that to be perfect we need to look like the girls on covers of magazines..but in truth they are lying to us because we can never achieve that. This video I’ve embedded below just shows the process behind things before the public sees it
 

 
ps
Now you are probably wondering where exactly I’m headed with this post so here is where I dig into my point here.
I think the main issue is so many people (mostly the media) telling girls they aren’t perfect. We’re haunted by magazines, books, pictures on the internet and more and see that flawlessness as what true beauty is.
I know a girl who wishes her teeth were perfect and straight and doesn’t like that she is a bigger bodied girl. I know another girl who hates her smile and laugh. Another girl I know hates the acne on her face and another hates the way her hair frizzes….The list goes on and on but today I’m going to tell you and those girls something special.
 
I’m going to tell you a secret.
 
The most important beauty secret of all. 
I’m going to tell you what true beauty is. Are you ready for this?
 
Are you truly ready? This is the truth my friends and I hope you believe it…Here it goes.
The secret is one word. One simple three letter word and that word is:
You.

You embody true beauty. You ARE true beauty.
Beauty isn’t defined by what you wear, how much you weigh, how frizzy your hair is or how curvy you are. (and the list goes on)
Real beauty is being confident in your own skin and not letting anyone else tell you you aren’t worth anything or that you aren’t beautiful.
True beauty is within us all. Just think about this.
You were created by God who made you exactly he way you are and everything in his creation is beautifully and wonderfully made.
1 Peter 3:3-4
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I like this post a lot!!! It's so true :D and media standardd for "true" beauty is always changing through time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And I agree. Media is always fluctuating in their standards of 'true' beauty

    ReplyDelete