Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Thoughts on Makeup

 

 Earlier this year my dad challenged me not to wear any makeup besides the bare minimum. His challenge kind of blindsided me at first, NO eyeliner? NO eyeshadow? NO redlipstick? The idea horrified me to say the least.

The first day was rough. I looked in the mirror and saw all my imperfections staring back at me. I wanted my makeup to hide them, I needed my mask.

 As the days turned into weeks, I realized recently that I kind of like me without a face-full of makeup. Going without makeup has actually made me more confident. I didn't expect that honestly.

Now society would tell me otherwise. It seems that today we need a makeup product for everything. We MUST look perfect for every occasion and oh the horror if we leave the house before powdering our nose.

That's not to say that we should go around looking like slobs, quite the opposite rather. I'm simply stating that who is society to tell me what I must be? And who is society to dictate a so called idea of perfection?

Natural is beautiful. I love my red lipstick. I always have and I always will, but sometimes it's nice to just be me. To put aside the mask of makeup, to rebel against society's standards of beauty, and to just be me. No makeup, no masks, just me.

  "I will praise you; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are your works; and that my soul knows right well." Psalm 139:14

I'm not saying makeup is wrong, I love it as much as any other girl, but sometimes we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Remember who we really are, daughter's of a King and the imperfectly perfect girls that we see looking back at us in the mirror.

And you dear girl, don't need to hide behind a mask of makeup. With or without makeup you are beautiful and fearfully and wonderfully made.




3 comments:

  1. Wow. Awesome post! I think it's all so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is just adoreable. ^_^ And this was a wonderful post, m'dear. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful, girlie. And it's so true. I'm much more confident without it. I always used to feel like I couldn't go out without my makeup--that it would make me less of a person. I think I always have this insecurity that people with think I'm a little girl, when I just want to be seen for who I am. But this is who I am. And I don't need makeup to appear my age, despite my height situation. I just need to be me. Being me is what is important.

    ReplyDelete