Monday, April 15, 2013

How You Care for Yourself

 Seeing the posts for the past couple months about accepting yourself the way God created you makes me smile. Too often we look in the mirror, and see ourselves through the most critical of glasses. In a creation video by Ken Ham, there is talk of colored lenses. Though I'm not applying it in the same way he did, I think it fits here as well. When we look in the mirror, instead of looking through God's lenses, we look through a colored lens. This colored lens blocks us from seeing the way God created us as special, and making us feel fat, or ugly, or too tall, too short. This has been widely talked upon here, so I'm sure I can't say much more that hasn't already been explained. Though I can offer a few basic tips. :)

  For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. ~ Jeremiah 29:11

 As with anything, there ARE ways you can improve yourself. God has made you beautiful! Sometimes we have to let that beauty out in a God honoring way. Here are just a few of my thoughts.

1. Healthy exercise:  Whether you see yourself as chubby, thin, or anything else, exercise is something that everyone can do. Trust me, after a good thirty minutes to an hour of exercising, you may feel tired, but you'll also feel rejuvenated. Our bodies need exercise. I like to accomplish this by popping in a Wii exercise game, since I can't walk around my town alone. But after I exercise, I always feel a little better about myself.

2. Hygiene: A clean girl is a happy girl, right? Brushing your teeth, brushing your hair... this can all shine up your appearance.

3. Smile: This, I think, is the most important so far on the list. When you smile, it completely changes your face. Smiles are beautiful things, that God created. I think a girl looks much more beautiful when she smiles. A smile is also something God can shine through! So don't be afraid to show those teeth. ;D

4. Clothing: Dress in a manner that is classy, modest, and makes you look nice. If you wear too tight, or immodest clothing, that may be the only thing people notice. But if you wear extremely baggy clothing (I wear it all the time at home ;D) you may look as if you don't care about your appearance. Nice clothing doesn't have to be expensive. It doesn't have to name brand. It just needs to look nice on you.

5. Prayer, drawing closer to the Lord: This doesn't have so much to do with the physical as with the spiritual. You can change everything about your appearance, but the only way you'll be truly beautiful is if you have the Lord showing through you. Ask the Lord to draw you closer to Him every day. Trust Him, for He has made you beautiful!

 A lot of people say that how you dress/look is not important at all, and it's true that God made you the way you are. But I believe we can honor God by respecting the temple of our bodies, and dressing in a way that would glorify Him, as well as taking other measures.

 What is something that makes you uniquely you?

No comments:

Post a Comment