Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bookmark Love {craft}

I recently made a reading list for myself to go through during the school year (hey, just because I've graduated doesn't mean the work stops!) and some of the books I'm reading are borrowed from other people. This means I can't do what I usually do with my darling books: fold the corners to mark my spot, scribble notes on the side, and underline all my favorite quotes. I can prevent myself from folding corners by using bookmarks - so I made some!

The Craft:
Washi Tape bookmarks
The Purpose:
To keep yourself from dog-earing any books you're borrowing for school or fun - they also make fabulous little gifts for bookworms!

The Materials:
 
 -Washi Tape 
-Regular tape
-Ribbon
-Sharpies or markers
-Cardstock paper...you could use regular paper, but I don't know if it would be sturdy enough.
 -Scissors 
-Ruler [if you want to be all neat and proper, that is. I cut with wild abandon.]

The Instructions:
 To be honest, I didn't have any plan of attack when making these. I just grabbed some stuff from my craft box and got busy!
First, I cut the cardstock into thick strips, about a couple inches across and ranging from 6-4 inches long.
 
 
 For the first bookmark, I carefully taped across the front then wrapped it around to the back, then snipped the tape to make one layer. I then repeated this until I was about 1/3 of the way down the bookmark.

 
 You probably can't see it very well, but I wrote [in pencil!] "Book Worm" on the paper and then went over it with a colored sharpie:
 
 
 Then I flipped the bookmark over and taped up the "bald spot" in the back.
 And continued to wrap tape around the rest of the bookmark until I reached the bottom. You might need to trim the ends of the bookmark.
 
For the second one, I cut a couple pieces of ribbon about 4-4 1/2 inches long and taped them to the back of the paper.
 
 
 Then I repeated the process of wrapping washi tape around, one layer at a time.
 
 
The thing with Washi tape is that you can really do whatever you want with it. The little bicycle at the top of this bookmark is from one roll of Washi, then I finished with a different roll.
 

If you don't have Washi tape, you can also use duct tape - my brothers have some that they want me to use to make them some "manly" bookmarks, haha!

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute! *Squeals with book loverness* I must make these and all your other crafts. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete