Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Easy Crochet Scrunchie {craft}

Please don't let the word "crochet" make you want to run away! I use the word crochet in the title and post because the technique is technically a crochet stitch. However, hopefully even if you are not a crocheter you will still be able to do this!

The Craft:
Easy Crochet Scrunchie
 
{thanks to my little sister for being my model!}
The Purpose:
To turn an ordinary hair elastic into a fabulous little scrunchie! My little sister likes to put her hair into a braid or ponytail every night before bed and I thought I would brighten her elastic up a bit.



The Materials:

A pair of scissors
Some yarn - any color works, and you probably want a medium thickness {I used some cheap acrylic yarn that my sister had}
A hair elastic - again, any color works, and you might not want to use a thin one unless you were using a thinner yarn
A crochet hook {I used a size G}
An embroidery/crochet needle

The Instructions:
Tie a slip knot around the elastic, leaving a long tail. With this one, I didn't make a very long tail and so it left the finished product looking a little uneven - next time I will try to leave a tail long enough to go all the way around the scrunchie.

Hold the two strands of yarn between your fingers and use the crochet hook to go through the elastic and grab the two strands, pulling them through the elastic to make a loop next to the slip knot. Then do a yarn over. {if you don't know what that means, click here}
 

Congratulations, you've just done a crochet stitch! Now repeat over and over all the way around the elastic, occasionally pulling the stitches closer together so you can get as many on there as possible.


Once you're finished, leave a large loop, pull out the crochet hook and snip the yarn, leaving a tail about about 5-6 inches long.



Use your embroidery needle now, threading the yarn through it. Pull the needle through about 1/4 of the new scrunchie for one "stitch"...


and then pull it through again in the opposite direction.


If you have any remaining yarn, snip it off, and then enjoy your new scrunchie!



Enjoy! I hope the instructions were easy to follow - let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Until later,


2 comments: