Monday, August 5, 2013

Let's Talk About... Movies

 I love movies. I'm sure almost everyone enjoys a relaxing day where they can sit and watch a good film and not worry about the stresses they've been having at work, or school, or wherever. Sadly, most movies these days are filled with all kinds of things that I hate to fill my mind with. It isn't just swearing anymore, which is getting bad, but there is a boat load of sensual stuff going on, showing far too much. Movies also have an agenda now, which isn't just to share a story that you can eat popcorn to, but carrying forth the creator's personal opinion on political, spiritual, or other matters that I really don't want to fill my mind with.

 So how do I combat the negatives, so that I can enjoy a movie without feeling like I'm letting God down by watching it?

These days there are some fantastic websites devoted to letting you know about the inner-workings of films from a Christian mind view.  They'll let you know the violence, the sensual, and the profanity. Here are two websites I use when looking up new films that I want to be sure about.


- also does video game and music reviews.

If there are too many negative elements to a film, I most likely won't watch it. There are a lot better choices out there.

Another thing is ClearPlay. I don't have it yet, unfortunately. I used to have TV Guardian, which was great to have. These programs blank out the profanity so you don't have to hear it. A great tool.

 If I'm watching a film that's good in most areas, but has a little more violence then I'd like (most movies these days) I'll sometimes turn my eyes away.

 Whatever you do. Whatever you set before your eyes. Pray about it. There is a scripture that says,  

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Phil. 4:8 KJV)
 
I hope you enjoyed this post, and it was somehow a help to you in its simplicity. 
 
 Do you have any suggestions to add to my own?
 

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree Bethany! It's so hard to find good movies (and TV shows I might out) to watch these days. My mom loves to find the Dove Family Approved Movies. We also watch a lot of Sherwood Picture movies which have become super popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. TV is almost worse sometimes. I love Sherwood! <3

      Delete
  2. I just like to read/write books but it's good to know there are resources if I want to see a movie, great job Bethany!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading books is one of my favorite pastimes too, Chard! :D

    ReplyDelete