Thursday, May 16, 2013

Birthdays and Awkward

I think the title explains this post. Let's face it. Birthdays are awkward.



Last week, one of our own bloggers here had a birthday. I won't say who because she HATES when you say happy birthday to her, so yeah. But she prompted this post, since my computer cut off and deleted the post I had originally planned.

People seem to love birthdays. Unless it's their own. But when it comes to throwing a birthday party, everyone (aside from the birthday boy/girl) wants in on it. So they go all out. Buying cake and ice cream, balloons, presents, cards, throwing in money and blah blah blah.

And then the birthday person has to suffer through it all. They must open presents, which is pretty awkward. I mean, you're family is watching you with eagle eyes, waiting for any little twitch that may suggest you don't like the gift. And if they suspect that, they get teary and offer to give you the receipt and you have to comfort them and reassure them that you adore it and that it's the best thing you received (Turns out, all presents you get are the best ones).

After presents, you have to have cake. Buuuuuuut . . . . Before the cake, EVERYONE HAS TO SING IN THAT AWFUL "WE'RE SO OUT OF TUNE BECAUSE WE LOVE YOU" TONE. Now, there's nothing wrong with the singing.

As long as you don't mind being deaf.

Just kidding. Sort of.

Anyway, you're just standing there, awkwardly trying to figure out what you do with your hands and your eyes while everyone is singing and smiling and staring at you. So you just end up like this:


But, being the good birthday boy/girl you are, you stand there and take it like a man. Or a woman. Whatever. Once it's over, you FINALLY get to eat the cake. That's the only part of birthday parties that ISN'T awkward. Unless you don't eat cake. Or are allergic to cake. Then it must be pretty awkward. 

Anyyyyyway . . . I don't have to go through as much awkwardness as normal people. Why? Because . . . (prepare yourself) . . . . I don't get presents.

That's right, people. I get MONEY. I get to buy my own presents. So, I only have to go through the awkwardness of shopping for things that you didn't know you wanted and the cake part. Be jealous. Be VERY jealous. 

So, that's today's post. Sorry it's sorta irrelevant. But, maybe I made you smile? I sure hope so. 

 

6 comments:

  1. I feel the EXACT same way!:) so this year for my birthday party, I made sure all the gurls skipped over the singing part. Wouldn't want to miss the presents! (haha):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katelyn, you pinned the tail on the donkey, right there. I love the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I did, Twinny. I always do. *hair toss*

      Delete
  3. Haha! Thank you so much for posting this! My birthday was last Tuesday, and my party is tomorrow.. and the birthday song is is always something that I do NOT look forward too! :P So yes, you made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete